Market Street Railway Company, 1927-1944
Built 1997 by Muni shops
This cable car is painted in the locally famous “White Front” livery of Market Street Railway Company, worn by Powell Street cable cars from about 1927 until the Municipal Railway took over the Powell Street lines in 1944.
There were several generations of companies named “Market Street Railway.” This version took over the transit lines operated by United Railroads in 1921, after that company got into financial trouble. A well-run but frugal outfit, Market Street Railway retained the basic United Railroads green paint scheme it inherited, but in 1927 started painting the ends of its cable cars and streetcars white as a safety measure. Cable car no. 9 displays the first version of this scheme, featuring red window sash. Later, the ends were entirely white and the sides entirely green, to save money when repainting.